The best part about Christmas is the variety of food that one gets to savour - this ofcourse is if you are lucky to make it at home or venture out and enjoy it. Besides the traditional Mangalorean Christmas meal menu which includes different types of meats cooked the Indian way, I have also had the pleasure of eating the Mangalorean way of making the Roast Chicken (recipe to follow). This sauce is an accompaniment to that. It just helps bring out all the flavours of the beautifully roasted chicken which is stuffed with breadcrumbs, raisins and giblet.
I think this sauce can also be made round the year if you wish to eat it with any other kind of roast/baked dish. I had tried a couple of recipes for this sauce and was not too happy with them. Eventually this one worked for me. The black currants - we call them black kishmish in India, lend this sweetish tang to the sauce. The rest of the ingredients just complement it in their own way bringing in the elements of sweet, spice and sourness to the sauce. I hope you enjoy it!
Black Currant Sauce
Prep time: 5mins | Cook time: 20mins | Serves 4-6
- 4 tbsp (50gm) black currants (black kishmish)
- 2 small green chillies
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 1/2" ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice or tamarind juice or vinegar (according to taste)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1-/12 or 2 cups of water (approx)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 small onion finely sliced (for seasoning)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- mint leaves to garnish
1. Pick and clean the black currants and soak in warm water for about an hour till they swell. Grind with the ginger, green chillies, onion, lime juice & sugar to a fine paste. Transfer the paste into a pan and add the water and salt to taste and simmer for 15 minutes without covering the pan. The mixture will thicken and reduce a little. Turn off the heat & transfer sauce to a serving bowl
2. Heat ghee in another pan and fry the onion till golden brown. Add this seasoning to the sauce and garnish with mint leaves and serve.
Labels: Accompaniment to Roast Chicken, Black Currant Sauce, Black Raisin Sauce, Christmas Recipes, Kishmish Sauce, Mangalorean Traditional Food, Sauce Recipes